| || || |
|Ramona California The current town of Ramona was founded in 1886, when a land speculation syndicate, headed by Milton Santee, "organized the Santa Maria Land & Water Company and acquired 3,200 acres (13 km2) for a townsite in the Santa Maria Valley and named it Ramona". Previously the area was known as Nuevo, and was dotted by a few ranches and homesteads. Settlement of the Ramona town site began in 1883 when Amos Verlaque built a store and post office on the wagon road to Julian, California. In 1886, Theophile Verlaque built the town's first house next to Amos' store. The Verlaque house, located at 645 Main Street in Ramona, is now home to the Ramona Pioneer Historical Society and its Guy B. Woodward Museum, and in 1991 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places |
| Filmstrip |
| 03.05.09 04:02 PM
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:07 AM.