Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > Science

Science

Question about College Majors

Views:2830
Unread 07.05.03, 12:24 AM
FlyingAce

Question about College Majors

This is for people both in college and those who have graduated from it.

I'm interested in majoring in some sort of computer-related field, but I need to ask a question on a few technicalities. What is the difference between computer science, information sciences, computer engineering, and what ever other computer majors I may have left out?

The only clue I have so far is that computer engineering is more on the hardware side of the box, whereas I'd really like to do software.

Thanks for any advice you might have
Unread 07.05.03, 12:28 AM
Archon

I was a criminal justice student......no help here.....
Unread 07.05.03, 04:48 AM
UltraVXAuthor

CS-- artificial intelligence, math, programming theory
CIS-- statistics, database, applications implementation more than programming. human ergonomics and efficiency
CE-- artificial intelligence, math, programming theory, circuit design, microchip design, optics, robotics

All computer related fields have the top six paid, growth opportunities until 2010 according to the bureau of labor statistics http://www.bls.gov.
Programming jobs are the hottest, of course, with support and database services 4th and 6th. According to sources in the industry, my research suggests that CE is highest paid and most desired for employers, because the CEs understand what the software is doing insode the hardware and design better code. It's hard to get into a school for CE for me, there are only 3 schools here that even offer it. However, there are many CS/CIS schools.
Unread 07.05.03, 05:37 AM
Hawkeye

I just graduated with a Bachelor's of science degree in Information Sciences and Technology, from Penn State... Our focus was on the business aspect. It's the only major of its kind that I know of, since I was the first graduating class of it @ psu. To explain more, what we did was problem based group learning.... a lot of consulting work.

We had been told by the Dean and faculty that our degree was meant to provide us with the skills of being CIO's (Chief Information Officers), and to allow us to adapt to the ever changing technology field. We were also given the skills to communicate effectively with the business leaders while still have a skill subset to work with the highly advanced technology.

And some job grabbing statistics, about 1/3 of my graduating class had jobs at the time of graduation, 1/3 were going to graduate school, and 1/3 were without a job. We had 500+ graduating (across all campuses). I am a part of the 1/3 that has a job...

I also agree with UltraVX about his explaination of the other Computer tech degrees....

Hawk
Unread 07.05.03, 09:13 AM
FlyingAce

Hmmm.... I was planning on doing a double major (business and comp sci)... but now that you guys have told me that.. I think I might change business to information sciences (I'd probably do business school at a graduate level)

Is there course overlap between Information Sciences and Compsci?

BTW: Hawkeye, I know of one other school that offers such a major.. I was visiting Georgetown (it's a block away from DC), and they are implementing a major just like that in the upcoming school year.
Unread 07.05.03, 09:25 AM
ForCe

lol...

comm student..and after i grad in may, going for a tech degree, in network engineering
Unread 07.05.03, 09:34 AM
*HFE*AssMassta

i'm taking computer science next year.
Unread 07.05.03, 02:32 PM
Hawkeye

i was a comp sci major.... just couldnt see myself doing programming for the rest of my life... i wanted to be able to step outside a programming life... but if thats your cup o tea.. .

Ace: thats cool... i heard that some other schools had come up to visit our school and learn about the program... nice to see some people are taking the advice of my college...
Unread 07.05.03, 04:29 PM
Jucking Ferk

Forget Computers. Major in Political Science, then you can tell why the liberals believe the blather that spouts from their yaps.

Ferk out
Unread 07.05.03, 08:29 PM
Archon

^ nah I think some of the politicians are in fact computers (androids) and thus we need CS majors to stop their BS!

Tags
college, majors, question