Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Hobby Talk > Cooking > Recipes

Recipes Kitchen hints and tips

Steve's Better Than Gronala Energy Chews, with Chia seeds

Views:1816
Unread 09.29.11, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Steve Boren Send a message via MSN to Steve Boren Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Boren Send a message via twitter to Steve Boren
Steve's Better Than Gronala Energy Chews, with Chia seeds

You will need a large punch bowl, electric hand mixer, half sheet pan, and an oven at 375*

Makes about 50 chews, 2 1/2" Squares from a standard half sheet pan, 18 by 13 inches, with 1" tall sides

2 Cups 1min. Oats
2 Cups of Flour
2 Cups Spanish Peanuts
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Honey
3/4 Cup Chia Seeds
1/4 Cup Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Baking Powder
1 1/2 Cups Canola Oil
12oz. Can evaporated milk

Read first Befor starting.

Mix dry ingredients in large punch bowl,(the large punch bowl keeps us sloppy people from getting stuff on the floor). The hand mixer works best in the large punch bowl.
I use fresh ground cinnamon and cheep flour so I sift all the dry ingredients before I add the wet ingredients.

I take the peanuts and chop them up on a cutting board until I get tired. If some of them don’t get chopped, it is ok because it adds to the chew by making different size crunching. This makes it a better chew, trust me.

After you mix in the wet with the dry you will find that it is thicker than anything you have made before. This is ok just plop the mixture on a canola oil brushed pan and spread as even as you can. It doesn't have to be perfect because the smaller it is the cruncher it is, the larger it is the more like brownies it is. Brush the top of the batter with Canola oil to make the top browner, I do.

Bake for 35 minutes in your 375* oven, not all of the top will be brown, but it's ok. Touch the part that rises the most for bounce, If it sinks in cook longer. I'm sure 35min. will be enough time. I live at 1,400 feet above sea level, this may make a difference in the time.
Take out and let cool. Cut into squares. Makes about 50 chews, 2 1/2" Squares.

Cut into squares and cut around the sides then lift out with a pancake flipper sliding under your squares.

Note that the Chia seeds replace the need for eggs

Tags
chews, energy, gronala, steve