Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > Science > Health

Health Who we are, what we are, and what we need

Medical

The Physician Payments Sunshine Act of 2008

Views:1547
Unread 05.17.08, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Steve Boren Send a message via MSN to Steve Boren Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Boren Send a message via twitter to Steve Boren
The Physician Payments Sunshine Act of 2008

Dear Friend,

Yesterday I told you about the country's med schools doing their best to clean up their own act and enforce some restrictions on the food, travel, and gift freebies handed out by Big Pharma throughout the academic medical community. (If you missed it, you can check it out by clicking on the link below.) Now, it appears that the government is wising up to these unsavory practices, too. A new bill was just introduced in Congress that would require both pharmaceutical and medical device companies to disclose ANY PAYMENTS OR GIFTS made to physicians.

The Physician Payments Sunshine Act of 2008 was introduced by Rep Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) this past March. There are two components of this bill: the House bill applies to all Big Pharma companies with annual revenues of over $1 million (HA! That's pocket change to these guys, so this means ALL OF THEM!), while the Senate bill covers only companies with more than $100 million in revenue.

If the bills pass, the companies would have to state the name of the physicians who'd received payments and – here's the tricky part – the PURPOSE of the payment. How interesting should that be? This data would be posted on the Internet, and would be completely accessible by the public.

As you know, this is just what we need.

Why not join the cause by letting your congressman and senators know that you support these bills! Click here find out how you can support this bill.

The system is moving in our direction, folks! Let's be sure to keep pushing it that way!

Never for sale to Big Pharma,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

The Douglass Report - Act Now
Unread 05.19.08, 02:22 PM

No doubt, how many of us are sick of waiting at the office for a visit? I've waited before just because the doctor was having a visit with a pharmaceutical sales rep. And another crack at 'Big Pharma' I am SICK of the commercials, something tells me my doctor is better able to handle medication needs then my uninformed self, so stop with the ads already. Especially when one of the side-effects is death!!! Anyone up for Advair?

Tags
2008, act, payments, physician, sunshine