Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > Personal Liberty

Personal Liberty Bob Livingston provides you with a conservative, Christian view on life. Helping you live free in an unfree world. Delivering news on improving you health, boosting your wealth, and protecting your civil liberties."

Personal Liberty

Merry Christmas

Views:643
Unread 12.25.18, 11:22 PM

Merry Christmas

12.24.18 10:01 PM

Last week, I made a guest appearance on a good friend’s morning radio talk show. We shared anecdotes, ideas and jokes about pretty much everyone and everything in the news. I got to spend a little time chatting with a few other media personalities and fielding calls from my friend’s particularly well-versed listeners. The show progressed along familiar lines, but to my friend’s credit, it never became rote or boring. But even as I found my groove, dishing on the inside- and outside- the beltway buffoons, he threw a major league curve ball at me.

As we returned from a stopset (radio-ese for “commercial break”), he asked me to describe my idea of a perfect Christmas. After a couple of hours of political snark, I was wholly unprepared for the change of gears. My imagination flitted to the looks on my niece and nephews’ faces when they realize I got them the gift their parents said were too loud. I thought of the Currier and Ives-tinged chaos of my parents’ home when my brothers and I were wee lads. I heard the tinkle of the Salvation Army volunteer’s bell outside the grocery store and the carols in the cathedral. I could practically smell the seasonal perfume born of the cider in the mug and the earthy spice of the Christmas tree, mixing with the crackling fire in the fireplace. I could feel the hug of warm clothes against the bite of a cold day.

But before I could give the greeting card-worthy answer, I realized it could be altered by a few degrees and fit nearly any occasion which traditionally goes hand-in-hand with the kind of joy on which greeting card companies make their bank. Add some pastel colors and exchange pine trees for lilies and it could be Easter. Throw in some fresh-cut grass, sunscreen and fireflies and it could be a summer trip to the lake. Christmas is so much more than just another holiday and deserves so much more than to be categorized along with every occasion that involves overeating and screaming children.

And then, I knew the answer to his question. My perfect Christmas, I said, would be a day, an hour or even a few minutes of a global observation of the Angel’s Annunciation from the Gospel of Luke. “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” A truly perfect Christmas can certainly include the presents, the charity, the worship and even the roasting of the chestnuts over the open fire. But without the peace and good will, it’s just cold-weather commercialization, a retail opportunity with vaguely religious undertones.

In my perfect Christmas, the warmongers would take a break, the political correctness mob would settle down and ugliness of the modern world, in which everything not only can, but must, be political and divisive, would fade. And in the silence, humanity would look upon one another and remember the Angel’s promise, the “good news of great joy that will be for all the people,” not just the ones who think the right way, vote the right way or even celebrate the same way.

Even those who don’t observe or even believe in peace in the most spiritual sense, much less the Savior whose birth embodied it, would pause long enough to consider the Word. Even if my perfect Christmas wouldn’t earn the respect of the Angels, I’d hope for a nod from Charles Schultz, through his character Linus of the Peanuts comic strip. After all, he told us, all those years ago, “That’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”

Merry Christmas to each and every one of you, and may 2019 bring you nothing but peace and goodwill.

The post Merry Christmas appeared first on Personal Liberty®.

https://personalliberty.com/merry-christmas-3/