Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > Science > Health

Health Who we are, what we are, and what we need

Medical

What does this really say?

Views:2564
Unread 12.03.04, 07:00 PM
Harpo

What does this really say?

A 2004 study of patients admitted to the trauma unit at the University of Maryland found that 19 percent of crash victims under 18 tested positive for marijuana.

I do believe it could read like this:
A 2004 study of patients admitted to the trauma unit at the University of Maryland found that 81 percent of crash victims under 18 did not test positive for marijuana.
Unread 12.03.04, 07:52 PM
Jucking Ferk

Maybe is should say:

A 2004 study of patients admitted to the trauma unit at the University of Maryland found that 19 percent of crash victims under 18 could kill you and your family in a crash because they were high on marijuana.

Ferk out
Unread 12.03.04, 08:09 PM
Archon

its says, smoking weed while driving is bad....
Unread 12.03.04, 11:20 PM
Harpo

so the minority makes it bad? you guys crack me up with these denial routines. It says inexperience drivers are more likely to drive crazier than stoned inexperienced drivers. in pure statistical numbers, or is it because it isn't fuzzy math you can't tell 81% is more than 19%.
Unread 12.04.04, 05:59 AM
TheNurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo
so the minority makes it bad? you guys crack me up with these denial routines. It says inexperience drivers are more likely to drive crazier than stoned inexperienced drivers. in pure statistical numbers, or is it because it isn't fuzzy math you can't tell 81% is more than 19%.
"Denial routines"? Who's in denial when you seem to be so quick to dismiss the 19% of the stoners who gets behind the wheel of a car? Seems your revised quote is trying to sugar coat it? Least that's what I got from YOUR message.
It's reality, buddy...
That's kinda like saying "Although there were 41% alcohol-related highway deaths in 2002, but there was 59% in 2002, who were responsible drivers". Which I'm sure those #'s have increased since then.
People who are driving, following the rules of the road, not smokin a fatty or guzzling down a 40oz, needs to just be aware of their fellow drivers... and not assume that every OTHER driver will show them the same kind of courteously or your "assume" will be a part of the pavement.

It's a public awareness announcement. READ, BE AWARE AND DRIVE SAFE!
Unread 12.04.04, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Zachariah Boren Send a message via MSN to Zachariah Boren Send a message via twitter to Zachariah Boren
Its only 19%. Thats great. I bet booz is high %. :drink:

That age group is bad on the road usually because of the inexperience of years behind the wheel.
Unread 12.04.04, 08:43 AM
Harpo

jeez Nurse, I am just rufflling feathers. I really am against weed on the road, just as much as alcohol. However in several studies as to the effects of driving, the lowering of abilities when comparing alcohol to marijuana and driving are greatly differed. The marijuana produced a negligable amount of change and only after "large" (according to the so called experts). Where as alcohol can produce vast changes in small amounts. But DUI is DUI is DUI....no matter how you look at it, alcohol, marijuana, paxil, darvocet and so on.

I live in the second most dangerous area for pedestrians in America, and this is not a "party" town, it is home of the newly wed and almost dead and the newlyweds are all retired. Now considering the mean age of the people in this area, I would have to say most of the accidents are involving age as opposed to anything else. Just ask the parents of the 5yr old killed last week by a hit and run from an old woman who had no idea she even hit anything much less a little girl.

Besides, if all the drivers on the road were stoned , everyone would be going 20 miles an hour and fatalities would be minimized. Stoned people drive too slow, drunk people drive too fast, old people drive too rudely, and I drive too nicely. thank you and good night.
Unread 12.04.04, 08:45 AM
Harpo

Zack sees what I see in that stat btw... and in response to Ferk, 81% of them needed no marijuana to kill you and your family.....
Unread 12.04.04, 03:04 PM
JuggerNaught

They said that the people tested positive for weed, they didnt say weed was the cause.
Unread 12.04.04, 05:13 PM
magik

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggerNaught
They said that the people tested positive for weed, they didnt say weed was the cause.
can we get an amen

lets break this down here (love ya nurse :P) marijuana stays in your system for anywhere to a few days to a few months based on smoker weight, smoker tolerance, and potency (TX smokers dont worry haha). Little Johnny smokes a blunt of some chronic the 15th. Little Johnny gets in a wreck the 23rd. Drug tested. OMFG MARIJUANA WAS THE CAUSE!!@@!#@@!#$