Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > Personal Liberty

Personal Liberty Bob Livingston provides you with a conservative, Christian view on life. Helping you live free in an unfree world. Delivering news on improving you health, boosting your wealth, and protecting your civil liberties."

Personal Liberty

A low down Twitter shame

Views:456
Unread 12.11.18, 11:12 AM

A low down Twitter shame

12.10.18 10:01 PM

I’m not sure Kyler Murray was back in his hotel room Saturday night when the news broke. The 2018 Heisman Trophy winner, who should have been enjoying his selection as college football’s top player, had been outed as a “homophobe.” A reporter from USA Today had evidently combed through the social media history of the 21-year old Oklahoma Sooners’ quarterback and unearthed tweets in which Murray had poked fun at some of his friends by calling them “queers.” Sometime in the predawn hours Sunday, Murray apologized and deleted the tweets in question.

As if an internationally recognized news outlet throwing a bucket of cold water on a kid’s big night over ribbing his pals wasn’t obnoxious enough, dig this: Murray’s “offensive” tweets predate his Heisman-winning campaign by seven years. Kyler Murray called his friends “queers” when he was 14 years old. I don’t recall much from my pre-high school days, but I’m pretty sure I used language around my friends that wouldn’t have cut it with my mother, much less a nosy reporter bent on turning my childhood into clickbait. I would bet real money that the reporter who pooped on Murray’s party had similar dossiers of social media misadventures ready for Murray’s competitors, Alabama and Ohio State quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa and Dwayne Haskins.

The sacking of Murray’s Heisman weekend was hardly an isolated instance. Shaming people based on random quotes from years past has become its own branch of the high school gossip mill that has replaced journalism. Moments after he was named last spring’s Final Four MVP, Villanova shooting guard Donte DiVincenzo found himself facing the shame brigade for repeating of a lyric by rapper Meek Mill that included the dreaded “n-bomb.” Like Murray, DiVincenzo was targeted for something he tweeted. And like Murray, he tweeted it when he was 14 years old. Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen met teenage Twitter ghosts this spring; Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Josh Hader, this summer. In less than a year, the media managed to throw a bunch kids under the bus over kid stuff they did when they were even younger kids.

There do seem to be exemptions from the new nostalgia. Senator Elizabeth Warren (Hypocrite – MA) didn’t just mock Native American culture in her younger days, she turned it into a money-making venture. Even after her “DNA test” debacle proved her to be as Cherokee as Lilybelle, my Yorkie-Schnauzer mix, she maintained not only her belief in her cheekbones, but her cushy Senate job and her position as one of the new leaders of the left. Rep-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (LMAO-NY) appears to have turned her Twitter account into an audition for Rep. Hank Johnson’s (D-NOT GUAM) title of dumbest member of Congress.

In the entertainment industry, which has become increasingly indistinguishable from the liberal elite, comediennes including Sarah Silverman, Chelsea Handler and Amy Schumer all sport social media resumes peppered with homophobic slurs. Their fellow funny lady, Kathy Griffin, aka “Ginger Skeletor,” infamously beheaded the president for the Twitter likes. Despite Griffin’s claims of being “bullied,” all those stars have seen their wattage increase in recent months. Liberal media blowhole Joy Ann Reid kept her position on MSNBC’s weekend junior varsity roster despite some spectacularly anti-gay rhetoric from years past resurfacing on Twitter, even after she tried to beat the rap by deploying a unique “time traveling hackers” defense.

However, Kevin Hart didn’t escape the specter of social media silliness. He lost the Oscar hosting gig within hours of accepting it thanks to nearly decade old tweets, leaving me to wonder if the “Me Too” era might be going off road.

All the ladies I mentioned were well into adulthood when they beclowned themselves. If they had committed their social media blunders as teenagers, or had those blunders been harmless fun, and not indicative of mild to serious disturbance (looking at you, Griffin), I might be willing to offer them a pass. It’s more than their fellow liberals were willing to offer guys like Murray. Instead, I would caution any guy who might do anything noteworthy, especially in a public fashion, to examine their own social media histories now. I don’t care if you invent a real-life Star Trek warp drive; if things you said when you were in junior high school can steal your headlines now, you had best get to deleting.

The post A low down Twitter shame appeared first on Personal Liberty®.

https://personalliberty.com/a-low-down-twitter-shame/