Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > Personal Liberty

Personal Liberty Bob Livingston provides you with a conservative, Christian view on life. Helping you live free in an unfree world. Delivering news on improving you health, boosting your wealth, and protecting your civil liberties."

Personal Liberty

Americans believe the terrorists are winning as GOP candidates ramp up ISIS rhetoric

Views:131
Unread 08.17.15, 10:31 PM

Americans believe the terrorists are winning as GOP candidates ramp up ISIS rhetoric

08.17.15 11:37 AM

Americans increasingly believe that the terrorists are winning, despite more than a year of U.S. efforts to slow the proliferation of ISIS in the Middle East. That’s a view shared by some contenders in the GOP presidential field, who are vowing to increase the nation’s military response to the terror organization.

According to the most recent numbers out from Rasmussen, just 25 percent of likely voters feel that the U.S. is winning its perpetual war on terror since the nation ramped up airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq last year.

Forty-two percent, meanwhile, believe that the terrorists are winning. And 26 percent say neither side has a clear edge.

Here’s how Rasmussen breaks the numbers down along party lines:
Thirty-seven percent (37%) of Democrats think the United States and its allies are winning, compared to just 15% of Republicans and 22% of voters not affiliated with either major party. Most GOP voters (65%) think the terrorists are winning, a view shared by 39% of unaffiliated voters and only 25% of those in President Obama’s party.

That’s good news for GOP candidates who are leveraging perceptions of weakness in President Obama’s response to ISIS to set themselves apart from the crowded Republican presidential field.

Businessman Donald Trump, who continues to hold a commanding lead over his fellow Republicans, has recently responded to questions about ISIS with the trademark bluster that has so endeared him to likely Republican voters.

Last month, Trump told Newsmax that he would “bomb the hell” out of ISIS if elected president.

More recently, Trump has repeatedly said that the key to defeating ISIS is using the military to remove the terror organization’s key source of funding.

“I would knock out the source of their wealth, the primary sources of their wealth, which is oil,” he said earlier this month on MSNBC. “And in order to do that, you would have to put boots on the ground. I would knock the hell out of them, but I’d put a ring around it and I’d take the oil for our country.”

ISIS reportedly controls around 10 percent of Iraq’s oil production. Trump contends that the U.S. should assume control of the nation’s oil fields and split oil production profits between Iraq and funding U.S. military efforts and wounded warrior programs.

“We’ve had soldiers that were so badly hurt and killed,” he said. “I want their families to get something. Wounded warriors all over the place. They got nothing. And they can’t even say we had a victory.”

Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina addressed ISIS concerns Sunday, saying that U.S. cooperation with Middle Eastern allies would be a better strategy than a massive troop surge.

“I disagree that we’re at that point where we need to put tens of thousands of boots on the ground,” she told ABC News’s George Stephanopoulos.

Fiorina added that the Obama administration has done very little to stem the Middle Eastern violence that has given rise to ISIS.

“We really are sitting by when we could be leading a coalition of Arab allies to defeat ISIS,” she said.

Fiorina believes that allies like Jordan’s King Abdullah, whom she knows well, could effectively stamp out ISIS if the U.S. provided “the bombs and the material that he’s been requesting for a year and a half, instead of forcing him to go to China.”

“I think the Jordanians, the Saudis, the Kuwaitis, the Kurds and the Egyptians are all fighting ISIS as we speak on the ground,” she said.

“They know this is their fight. Yes, they need leadership, resolve support and material from us. We haven’t provided any of it. And if we did, it will make a big difference.”

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky has similarly called for Arab nations to take the biggest “boots on the ground” role in fighting ISIS.

“If the Iraqis are not willing to fight for their country, I don’t think I would send American GIs to do it for America, if the Iraqis are not willing to fight for it,” he said.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he believes the U.S. can subdue ISIS without a massive troop surge if the commander in chief makes “better use of the limited forces we have by giving them a greater range of action.”

“Right now, we have around 3,500 soldiers and marines in Iraq, and more may well be needed,” he said during a recent speech. “We do not need, and our friends do not ask for, a major commitment of American combat forces.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina would, by contrast, leave the door open for, “Whatever it takes, as long as it takes.”

The rest of the GOP contenders have said that the U.S. should always be prepared for more boots on the ground, but have stopped short of recommending any specifics about how they’d handle ISIS.

The post Americans believe the terrorists are winning as GOP candidates ramp up ISIS rhetoric appeared first on Personal Liberty®.

http://personalliberty.com/americans...isis-rhetoric/