Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > Personal Liberty

Personal Liberty Bob Livingston provides you with a conservative, Christian view on life. Helping you live free in an unfree world. Delivering news on improving you health, boosting your wealth, and protecting your civil liberties."

Personal Liberty

At this Nevada high school, you can have a gay club — but not a pro-life club

Views:123
Unread 08.20.15, 06:16 PM

At this Nevada high school, you can have a gay club — but not a pro-life club

08.20.15 11:28 AM

At Nevada’s West Career and Technical Academy, student clubs catering to all kinds of diverse special interests abound. But there’s one special interest that’s apparently too diverse for school administrators.

Angelique Clark — a junior at the West Career and Technical Academy (WCTA), a magnet school in Las Vegas — has inspired a lawsuit on her behalf to restore her free speech rights, after administrators rejected her attempt to charter a pro-life student club at the school.

The Thomas More Society filed the suit last week, explaining that the school has acted arbitrarily in its decision to censor Clark’s club.

From the society’s Web release:
Angelique Clark submitted her application to start her Pro-Life Club at West Career and Technical Academy in December 2014. After months of no response from the school administration, she was finally told in February 2015 that Assistant Principal Allen Yee had denied the club. Angelique met with Mr. Yee and was given a variety of reasons why the club could not be approved, including that abortion was “controversial,” that a pro-life club would make pro-choice people feel left out, and that there were others “more qualified” to speak on the issue than a high school sophomore.

Those reasons seem strange, considering the other school clubs available at WCTA.

“Clark told The DCNF that her school, the West Career and Technical Academy, has a gay-straight alliance club, chess club, Bible club, anime club and others but won’t allow her pro-life club,” reports the Daily Caller News Foundation (DCNF). “She has about 25 people who already want to join.”

“When I first applied to form a pro-life club, I never imagined I would have to sue my school to be able to exercise my free speech rights,” Clark told the Thomas more Society. “My fellow pro-life students and I simply want to make our voices heard and to educate other students on a topic that’s important to us: choosing life.”

The post At this Nevada high school, you can have a gay club — but not a pro-life club appeared first on Personal Liberty®.

http://personalliberty.com/at-this-n...pro-life-club/