Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > National Rifle Association

National Rifle Association National Rifle Association, for more than 125 years the NRA has provided generations of Americans with programs focused on safety, education and responsibility.

National Rifle Association

Nebraska: A look at Right-to-Carry 5 years later

Views:114
Unread 10.14.11, 11:17 AM

Nebraska: A look at Right-to-Carry 5 years later

Posted: 10.14.11 02:11 AM

News 5 | News, Weather, Sports for Hastings | Kearney | Grand Island | Nebraska Hastings, Nebraska

Print this article

A look at concealed carry permits 5 years later

Originally printed at http://www.khastv.com/news/local/A-l...131826468.html
By Josh Egbert
October 13, 2011 Nearly 5 years and over 15,000 permits later. January first marks the five year anniversary Nebraskans' have been allowed to carry a concealed handgun.
The new law generated a lot of debate and many law enforcement agencies were concerned. But how do they feel nearly five years later?
So far so good. The Grand Island Police Department told News 5 they have not encountered any issues with concealed weapon permits since the law went into effect in 2007.
Steve-"I'm unaware of any issues that we've had with them," said Grand Island Police Chief Steve Lamken.
January 1st, 2007, law enforcement agencies were on edge.
"I think law enforcement was a little cautious about people with guns, more people with guns, concealed guns," Lamken said.
During that first year, the Nebraska State Patrol issued nearly 3500 concealed handgun permits.
"I think we were a little cautious about it, but so far it hasn't really caused us any problems," Lamken said.
Before obtaining a concealed handgun permit residents must first take a concealed weapons class.
Clark-"Most of them that I've taught are common sense people, I haven't had any problems with anybody," said Old Market Firearms owner Clark Williams.
It's a learning process that takes place in and out of the classroom.
"We've got a lot of in school question and answers, they have to take a test, then they have to shoot, to quality, they have to keep a certain score on both the test and the shooting," Williams said.
Gun sales didn't spike after the law went into effect, but are strong now.
"So they take the conceal carry class and they either upgrade or buy their first one," said Williams
And the worries of law enforcement don't seem to be there five years later.
Steve-"Most people that re going through the process and to be legally permitted to carry a concealed weapon are not the people we're worried about that are giving us problems," said Lamken.
Those first permits that were issued are set to expire at the end of the year. They expire every five years.
If the permit is renewed before it expires, the permit holder will not be required to retake a certified training course. Those who allow theirs to expire will be required to retake the certification course.KHAS (Hastings, Neb.)

Source: http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=15650