Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > Science > Health

Health Who we are, what we are, and what we need

Medical

Rampant fraud in medical research

Views:2134
Unread 02.05.12, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Steve Boren Send a message via MSN to Steve Boren Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Boren Send a message via twitter to Steve Boren
Rampant fraud in medical research

Rampant fraud in medical research by William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

I spend a lot of time pointing out bogus research and outright fraud -- and if you think I'm exaggerating, just take a look at the latest survey out of the U.K.

Thirteen percent of scientists and doctors have witnessed research fraud -- including doctored data and complete fabrications -- and six percent say they're aware of misconduct that was never investigated.

And those are just the ones who'll admit to it.

In other words, the survey in BMJ shows that researchers are making stuff up -- and they're getting away with it, too.

Of course, there would be much less fraud to go around if these witnesses spent less time answering surveys and more time blowing the whistle -- but they won't, because most of them are terrified it'll ruin their careers.

And who knows -- more than a few are probably taking notes and learning how to do it themselves. Think about that next time you're given a new med backed by supposedly rock-solid research.

I'll have more -- a lot more -- on research lies tomorrow. Watch your inbox.

True to you,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

Tags
fraud, medical, rampant, research