Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > The Heritage Foundation

The Heritage Foundation Since its founding in 1973, The Heritage Foundation has served as a research and educational institute -- a think tank -- whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense

The Heritage Foundation

I?m a T-Shirt Maker With Gay Customers and Gay Employees. I Still Was Sued.

Views:130
Unread 09.17.17, 10:22 AM
RSS Bot

I?m a T-Shirt Maker With Gay Customers and Gay Employees. I Still Was Sued.

On 09.16.17 11:01 PM posted by Blaine Adamson

In 2012, my promotional printing company, Hands on Originals, was approached by a customer to print a message that conflicted with my conscience. When I said no, they sued me.

Hi, my name is Blaine Adamson.

I got into the T-shirt printing business because I wanted to create Christian shirts that people would want to wear. Christian T-shirts at the time were so cheesy, they were so bad.

For all the years that Iíve been running my business, Hands on Originals, Iíve happily served and employed people of all backgrounds, of all walks of life.

Thatís why it was hard in 2012 when a customer sued us after I politely declined to make T-shirts promoting the local pride festival. I was surprised because I work with and serve gay people. But I canít print any message that goes against my faith, no matter who asks me to print it. And whenever I canít print something, I always offer them to another local print shop.

As is the custom for T-shirt makers of all kinds, Iíve declined plenty of orders in the past. For example, I was once asked to make a shirt with Jesus on a bucket of chicken, with chicken coming out of the bucket. I didnít feel right making that one. Iíve been asked to make a shirt promoting an adult film, one that promoted a strip club, and one or two that promoted violence. I couldnít in good conscience print any of those shirts.

Another shirt we declined was a simple black shirt with white text that read, ďHomosexuality is a sin.Ē I didnít feel right making that one either. I donít think thatís how Jesus would have handled the issue; Jesus would have balanced grace and truth.

I have gay customers and employ gay people. For example, we have printed materials for a local band called Mother Jane whose lead singer is a lesbian. That was never a problem for us because, as I said, weíll work with everyone, but we canít print all messages.

Shortly after our case started, two lesbian printers in New Jersey voiced their support for us because they didnít want to be forced to print messages that would violate their consciences.

Thatís why I was glad when a judge ruled that I had the freedom to decide which messages I wanted to promote. An appeals court also agreed. Unfortunately, though, the government has appealed again, this time asking the Kentucky Supreme Court to hear the case.

The bottom line, for me? I love designing T-shirts, and Iíd be pretty crushed if I had to close down Hands On, especially after all the years of building the business, serving the community, and doing what I love.

All we are asking for is that the government not force us to promote messages against our convictions. Everyone should have that freedom.

The post I’m a T-Shirt Maker With Gay Customers and Gay Employees. I Still Was Sued. appeared first on The Daily Signal.

http://dailysignal.com/2017/09/17/im...till-was-sued/