Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > The Heritage Foundation

The Heritage Foundation Since its founding in 1973, The Heritage Foundation has served as a research and educational institute -- a think tank -- whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense

The Heritage Foundation

Sen. Marco Rubio Explains Why More Gun Laws Won?t ?Stop This From Happening?

Views:73
Unread 02.16.18, 10:00 AM
RSS Bot

Sen. Marco Rubio Explains Why More Gun Laws Won?t ?Stop This From Happening?

On 02.15.18 02:21 PM posted by Video Team

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., spoke Thursday about the shooting that left 17 dead and 14 wounded at a high school in Parkland, Florida. Above is video of a portion of* Rubio’s remarks and below is a transcript.*

And so, hence the challenge for why itís so hard to find something that works. And there are a lot of proposals. And Iíll share the ones because Iíve heard them before and I hear them today.

And Iím not diminishing them. I donít want this to be taken as, “Because it wonít work I donít even want to hear your argument.” I understand, I really do. You read in the newspaper that they used a certain kind of gun and therefore letís make it harder to get those kinds of guns. I donít have some sort of de facto religious objection to that or some ideological commitment to that per se.

Thereís all kinds of guns that are outlawed and weaponry thatís outlawed and/or a special category.

The problem is we did that once and it didnít work for a lot of reasons. One of them is there is already millions of these in the street. And those things, they last a hundred years. And so, you could pass a law that makes it hard to get this kind of gun in a new condition, but youíre going to struggle to keep it out of the hands of someone who’s decided thatís what they want to use because thereís so many of them out there already that would be grandfathered in.

You can do a background check. The truth is, in almost all these cases I cited, the individual either erroneously passed a background check or wouldíve passed it or did.

Again, even if they couldnít pass the background check, then they could buy them the way MS-13 does and other gangs and other street elements do, from the black market. Again, not because we shouldnít have the background check. Iím just trying to be clear and honest here.

If someoneís decided “Iím going to commit this crime,” theyíll find a way to get the gun to do it. That doesnít mean you shouldnít have a law that makes it harder, it just means understand, to be honest, it isnít going to stop this from happening.

The post Sen. Marco Rubio Explains Why More Gun Laws Won’t ‘Stop This From Happening’ appeared first on The Daily Signal.

http://dailysignal.com/2018/02/15/fl...rom-happening/