Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > The Heritage Foundation

The Heritage Foundation Since its founding in 1973, The Heritage Foundation has served as a research and educational institute -- a think tank -- whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense

The Heritage Foundation

Cuomo Offers State Help to Turn Around NY Daily News After Layoffs

Views:78
Unread 07.24.18, 05:55 PM
RSS Bot

Cuomo Offers State Help to Turn Around NY Daily News After Layoffs

On 07.23.18 11:11 AM posted by Neetu Chandak

New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo is willing to offer state help to the New York Daily News after nearly 50 percent of the editorial staff was laid off Monday.

Cuomo asked Tronc Inc., which owns the newspaper, to reconsider the decision as it hurts “a New York institution and one of our nation’s journalism giants,” according to the*statement*made Monday. The statement added that New York state was willing to offer aid, though the amount of financial help was not specified.

My statement on the layoffs at the @NYDailyNews: pic.twitter.com/R1FflH98DX

— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) July 23, 2018

“These layoffs were made without notifying the State or asking for assistance,” the statement said on Monday. “My father, as governor, came to the aid of the New York Post when it was facing difficult financial times. Even though the Post represented an opposing active partisan interest, my father understood the value of a robust free press. So do I.”

The statement came after the New York Daily News downsized its newsroom to focus on*breaking news talent.*The news organization had around*85 employees*before the layoffs, the New York Post reported.

Laid-off staffers will be paid for 90 days and are also eligible for transitional benefits after as part of the severance package.

Content created by*The Daily Caller News Foundation*is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities for this original content, email*licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

The post Cuomo Offers State Help to Turn Around NY Daily News After Layoffs appeared first on The Daily Signal.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/07/...after-layoffs/