Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > The Heritage Foundation

The Heritage Foundation Since its founding in 1973, The Heritage Foundation has served as a research and educational institute -- a think tank -- whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense

The Heritage Foundation

Being Relentless About 9/11

Views:193
Unread 09.09.11, 07:45 PM
RSS Bot

Being Relentless About 9/11

On 09.09.11 02:08 PM posted by Hans von Spakovsky

I did not experience the 9/11 attack personally, and very fortunately did not lose anyone I know in that vicious act of terrorism. But it did mark a significant change in my life, since it marked my move to Washington. In fact, I was upstairs in our bedroom in Atlanta the morning of the attack packing my bags. I was supposed to head to the airport to fly to Washington—I had an interview scheduled for September 12 for a possible job at the Department of Justice.

My wife called upstairs to tell me she had just heard on the radio that an airliner had hit the World Trade Center. As I rushed to turn on our television, I was convinced that it must be a terrorist attack. The chances of a modern, technologically sophisticated commercial airliner flown by the experienced professional pilots who man them (many of whom are ex-military flyers) accidentally hitting a skyscraper in New York are just about nil. To our nation’s great misfortune, that turned out to be true.

I obviously did not get to fly to Washington that day, since flights into the nation’s capital were cancelled. It was two weeks before I could manage to get on an airplane. Authorities were so worried about further attacks in Washington that they checked our IDs twice at the Atlanta airport—once at the security checkpoint and again at the gate. Passengers were warned that no one could get out of his or her seat for the last half-hour of the flight into Reagan National.

I got the job at the Justice Department and started on December 3, 2001. It was a sobering time to be in Washington. We had regular drills almost every month at the Justice Department where we evacuated the building to practice for an attack similar to 9/11. We also had “in-place” drills where everyone had to leave their offices and head down into the basement of Main Justice, practicing for a possible attack using chemical or biological agents.

My father was a college professor, but he had also been a soldier who fought in three different wars, including the internecine combat of the Russian revolution. I had learned from him that when you are facing a sadistic, brutal, and merciless enemy, halfway measures won’t work—you have to be tough, ferocious, and relentless. And sometimes you have to do things that no civilized person would normally countenance.

I was afraid in the weeks after the World Trade Center collapsed, the Pentagon stopped burning, and the remains of United Airlines Flight 93 were removed in Pennsylvania, that America would have the same legalistically inept, tepid, and ineffective response that had characterized the Clinton Administration’s approach to terrorism—which obviously did not deter more significant attacks. But on October 7, 2001, I knew we finally had a different President who understood what we were facing the way my father would have understood it if he were still alive. That is when Operation Enduring Freedom was launched, and the U.S. went after al-Qaeda and its Taliban supporters in Afghanistan.

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/09/09/...ess-about-911/