Go Back   SZONE.US Forums > Current Events > News > Personal Liberty

Personal Liberty Bob Livingston provides you with a conservative, Christian view on life. Helping you live free in an unfree world. Delivering news on improving you health, boosting your wealth, and protecting your civil liberties."

Personal Liberty

Guarantee Of Secure Border, Congressional Accountability In Return For Amnesty Defeat

Views:251
Unread 06.19.13, 07:24 PM

Guarantee Of Secure Border, Congressional Accountability In Return For Amnesty Defeat

06.19.13 02:24 PM

Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) proposed an immigration reform amendment that many of his peers in the Senate deemed pretty out there: It would have forced Congress to prove that existing border security measures were being enforced before granting amnesty to illegal aliens.

The Senator’s “Trust But Verify” amendment was defeated 61-37 by Democrats and a handful of RINOS and at least one RINO in training. GOP Senators voting against Paul’s amendment included Gang of Eight Senators John McCain (Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Jeff Flake (Ariz.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.) along with GOP Senators Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Susan Collins (Maine) and Bob Corker (Tenn.).

The amendment would have called upon lawmakers to assess border security, finish a border fence in five years and establish protections against Federal efforts to require American citizens to carry national identification cards.

“Legalization or documentation of workers absolutely must depend on border security first,” Paul said. “I believe the American people should not rely on bureaucrats or a commission to implement border security.”

Paul also said he believes Congress must “institute border security, not the [Presidential] Administration.”

The Kentucky Senator said of the amendment’s defeat, “My amendment would have added real, verified border security, and made the promises of the bill’s authors credible to the American people. I hope Congress can produce immigration reform that actually solves the problems in our current system. Unfortunately, now, the Senate bill does not.”

He added, “I hope I am able to support a good bill, but it is now clear the House will have to lead the way.”

http://personalliberty.com/2013/06/1...with-gop-help/